Saturday, June 28, 2008

What is this all about?


This summer we (Isla Ratcliff, Cathy Ratcliff and Andy Wightman) are going on a sponsored cycle from Moscow to Edinburgh to raise money for street children in Ethiopia. This is part of the buskingforstreetchildren fundraising campaign. I (Isla) will be busking in Moscow, St Petersburg, Helsinki, Tallin, Riga, Gdansk, Berlin, Cologne, Paris, Brussels, Bruge and other cities and towns along the way with my violin. I am also seeking sponsorship for every 100km I cycle. So if you want to sponsor me, please send me an email and let me know the amount PER 100km.

Now, I should tell you that I expect to cycle about 1500km. I will not be able to cycle the whole way because I will be spending a week to get to Moscow, a week in Russia and a week at a music festival in Poland so I only have 4 weeks available and I need to stop and busk as well! So I will be getting the train for some of the way but I will have a cycle computer to let me (and you) know how far I have gone.

I should also tell you that I will not in fact be cycling in Russia because I have just learnt that it is in fact illegal for anyone under 14 years old to cycle in Russia. So, in fact, I will be starting in Tallinn.

On 30 June 2008, I will set off by train to Moscow. I will catch the train to London, then the Eurostar to Paris. I will see Paris for a day and do some busking. Then it is an overnight sleeper to Berlin and a day in Berlin. Then I catch the train to Rostock on the German Baltic coast and get on a ferry for a 2 night voyage to Helsinki (more busking). Finally, I get a sleeper train to Moscow where I will spend a few days before moving on to St Petersburg, then back to Helsinki from where I get on another ferry to Tallin and from there start cycling!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Isla, Cathy and Andy. What an adventure. Our adventures are closer to home with Mackie returning today from his very own cub camp adventure with homemade strawberry jam and other new culinary, ironing & sewing skills. Maybe he should organise a few sponsored potato peeling or ironing jamborees? Corin has taken up guitar today with 'A', 'C', 'D' and 'E' chords - which might not go so well with your 'Scot-toosh' or 'March'? Any tunes you think you could both play with that combo? Anyway, Doug has a joke for you. "Why did the cyclist from Moscow win the Tour de France"?

Tata. Love you loads. Jo, Doug, Corin and Mackie - the Roxys

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home